Thursday, November 19, 2009

Searching for Ker-Is



 Legend has it that the Bay of Douarnenez was where Ker-Is used to be. As soon as I’m able to, I’m going on an extended holiday to visit the place where Dahut once tread.  

My da used to recite Breton poems to me, particularly ones about Dahut/d. He said Breizhoneg was the language of the mermaids. Tales of the City of Ker-Is (French: Ker-Ys) regaled me as a child, and formed one of my most vivid memories of my da. When I have a child of my own, I will pass on the tale of Dahut/d to her.




Gwelas-te morverc’h, pesketour
O kriban en bleo melen aour
Dre an heol splann, e ribl an dour ?
Gwelous a ris ar morverc’h venn,
M’he c’hlevis o kanann zoken
Klemvanus tonn ha kanaouenn.




No comments:

We must never permit the voice of humanity
within us to be silenced. It is Man's sympathy with all creatures that first makes him a Man.

--Albert Schweitzer

Everything can be taken from a man or a woman but one thing: the last of human freedoms to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.


--Viktor E. Frankl