Friday, November 27, 2009

The Person I Have Become



There's so much to say, and words alone won't suffice
to capture the essence of all that I feel.
I think of the way I once was, eyes as cold and steely as gneiss.
Emotions kept at bay, I strove for stoicism, neglecting all that was real.

Perhaps it was naivete, or misguided notions of invincibility that lead
me to believe destiny was within my reach. Adolescent years were spent
trying to rationalize wayward ways. I thought I lived my life one step ahead,
but looking back I see wasted moments buried beneath the guise of much-needed rebellion unbent.

I was a child for far too long, and became an adult all too fast, left to stand here alone
to determine where this fork in the middle of the road would lead. I hear your voice
telling me to do what I think is right, to follow my heart even to the realms of the unknown.
I hear you clearly now more than I ever have, and I wonder if it is finally by choice? 


No comments:

We must never permit the voice of humanity
within us to be silenced. It is Man's sympathy with all creatures that first makes him a Man.

--Albert Schweitzer

Everything can be taken from a man or a woman but one thing: the last of human freedoms to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.


--Viktor E. Frankl