Wednesday, November 18, 2009

3 Stars and a Sun






When I see the Pilipino flag, I feel neither indifference nor the shame of defeat. I see the eight-pointed sun that will forevermore shine upon Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao be it during times of peace or war.



I am aware that the majority of the politicians are corrupt and pad their own pockets at the expense of the citizens I am aware that a lot of people die because hospitals literally demand payment before they even let you see an emergency room doctor. I am aware that there are religious leaders who side with politicians because for them, the word of God and his message of love can be bought out by P100,000. I am aware that in the Philippines, there are people ashamed of their native skin…a sad notion perpetuated by the rampant advertisements of skin bleaching creams. I am aware that most college graduates want to leave the country…you earn more being a domestic helper in Singapore than you would as a computer analyst in the Philippines. I am aware that senior citizens are not taken care of properly, and that a huge percentage of the country have to choose between food or shelter.






But I am also aware that there is HOPE.



There is more to the Pilipino people than cheap labour. There is more to the Pinay than the nurse or a Japayuki. There is more to the Pinoy than the confusion of the Ps and Fs, and the stubborn penchant to mistake he for she. There is more to the Pilipino people than servitude.


I hold the hope that one day, my Pinoy brothers and sisters will rise from the stifling heat of dreams deferred. I believe in people’s power to change their stars.



Pilipinas, bangon.




I believe in you.

No comments:

We must never permit the voice of humanity
within us to be silenced. It is Man's sympathy with all creatures that first makes him a Man.

--Albert Schweitzer

Everything can be taken from a man or a woman but one thing: the last of human freedoms to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.


--Viktor E. Frankl