Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Hospital Scene 2002





Standing by the window
I could see the city lights in the distance
Cars of various shapes and sizes line the streets
There are people down below,
Laughing and carrying on without a care in the world
I step away from the window
And I turn around
My da's lying on the hospital bed
Still as can be
A machine breathes for him
A tube through his stomach gives him food
The room is stark cold, and I shiver
But my mum doesn't even notice
Her eyes are glued to the heart monitor
Some people in lab coats come
To take his blood sugar, they say
I ask them about his glucose levels
And they say, "He's okay"
"No!" I want to scream
I want to chase them in the hallway and yell
Make them see
How can my da be okay
When they say he can't ever breathe on his own?
When they say he won't ever speak?
When they say he won't ever walk?
"No, he's not okay!" was what I wanted to scream
But I just stood there
Quietly watching their retreating backs
I walk back to the window
And look below
I used to be one of those carefree people
Milling about in the streets
And now I'm up here
So close, but so far
Go figure


No comments:

We must never permit the voice of humanity
within us to be silenced. It is Man's sympathy with all creatures that first makes him a Man.

--Albert Schweitzer

Everything can be taken from a man or a woman but one thing: the last of human freedoms to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.


--Viktor E. Frankl