Friday, September 24, 2010

Istanbul: Neither for the love of a man nor pursuit of money

But rather, the discovery of self.

That is why I'm moving to Istanbul, Turkey in a few months.

And yet, the call to (re)discover oneself is not sufficient justification, according to some people. You can still find yourself while you go for an MBA or a JD. If you really want a change of scenery, then go to Stanford. If that's not far away enough, what about OxBridge? If you want change, med school is a 180 from your field. Should be the challenge you're looking for. 


Source
Maybe someday, but for now it's Istanbul. It cannot be anyplace but Turkey.

How can I adequately express the confluence of signs that led to the realization that it is Turkey? I can utter the words tulips and Rumi, or mention the similarities between the Turkish languages and some AmerIndian languages. Yet at first glance or first hear, my words--earnest as they may be--seem foolish. How do I explain that one of my strongest memories of my da was being in a field of tulips, and that I want to rediscover that innocence of childhood again in the land where tulips were born? How can I put into words that the first religion where I felt the presence of The Great Spirit (Unehana, God, Allah...) is  Sufism?

Of course I can't. My words can never be enough.

But it is for me.








No comments:

We must never permit the voice of humanity
within us to be silenced. It is Man's sympathy with all creatures that first makes him a Man.

--Albert Schweitzer

Everything can be taken from a man or a woman but one thing: the last of human freedoms to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.


--Viktor E. Frankl