Wednesday, June 30, 2010

2 showers and an icy cold bath daily ain't enough


We're just pushing into July, and already the weather here in Nueva Inglaterra has begun its spectacularly sticky ascent. From a half-full perspective, you could say that being outdoors will save me some serious moolah, since there's no need to head to the square for some Bikram Yoga or to trek to the gym for some sauna sesh. And then there's the added bonus of being bronze again (with the aid of my dear friend UVA/UVB SPF 100) instead of the anemic Swiss cheese colour I've been for months. On the half-full, however, the 808 wahine in me is pretty much programmed to bust out the tank tops, board shorts, and slippahs (don't call them thongs!) when the weather hits 80 and above. Unfortunately, surfer chick wear is pretty much frowned upon when you have meetings to attend.

But I digress.

I'm in a summer writing workshop in addition to being a part of a writing group. It feels like all I've been writing these days are research papers and grant proposals, with no room for the creative stuff. To be honest, I haven't really created impromptu art lately. I've been living off of a rigid schedule broken down in half-hour increments, neatly outlined by iCalendar and a day planner. I've been multi-tasting and have been productive, sure, but I really don't like the fact that I have to pencil in time for creating art, taking photographs, or writing instead of doing when the inspiration strikes. But pffft. I shouldn't complain. I'm alive and healthy, as are my loved ones. That's all that matters, evet?

In any case, here's some A Fine Frenzy for languid summer days...




No comments:

We must never permit the voice of humanity
within us to be silenced. It is Man's sympathy with all creatures that first makes him a Man.

--Albert Schweitzer

Everything can be taken from a man or a woman but one thing: the last of human freedoms to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.


--Viktor E. Frankl